Thursday 21 May 2009

Day Seven.

Sunday 3rd November 1991.

Not a great deal of sleep. Virtually none. In fact it was hardly worth the bother of taking off my clothes and getting into bed. A hangover from Hell greeted me at 9am, and I lay there, waiting to die. I didn't die, so I managed to get up and dip my face in a sinkful of cold water. It didn't help, I still couldn't find my eyes.
Got to the breakfast room without falling over or projectile vomiting and everybody is in much the same state, those who had made it down, anyway. We all had to do it.
Maha, MBC's somewhat sinister 'senior reporter', is in the lounge as we trudge through, demanding the sacking of a waiter for spilling a drink on Raeff's camera. Maha is a kind of deranged lunatic who always leans into his shots like some kind of evil Sesame Street puppet. He is shouting 'WATER IS THE ENEMY OF THE CAMERA' to anyone who'll listen. We move on.
Get to The Press Centre and it's quiet and dead as though everybody left during the night. It's like the shopping centre in 'Dawn Of The Dead' after they've locked out the zombies. Only we got back in. We all just sat around. Apparently Lee and Raeff got pulling out of bed at 6am to go on some waste of time shoot. We all only went to bed about half past fucking five. They had some ruck with the hotel staff before being dragged off to some 'really important' talks. Poor fuckers.
The day went really slow, just sitting around drinking coffee and smoking, waiting for shit to happen.
It only went crazy twice. The second time it went nuts I was half cut in the bar with Lee and Geoff. I got the call, swallowed my drink and was on set miking up two guests and giving Nidal his cue 45 seconds later. It was ten to eleven in the evening and we had all thought it was over then some politician called Baker decides to make a speech. Inconsiderate fucking twat.
Estrella came up to me afterwards and said 'that was amazing'. Cool. Suck on that, Dom T.
We got through it, got drunker. Estrella came to the hotel for a beer and everyone was too tired for a serious session, just toasties and a couple of big bourbons. She hugged and kissed me before I went off to bed. Dom T was lurking around like some miserable vampire which kind of took the edge off my moment. I think I could fall for a girl like that. Good eyes, Spanish eyes.
It looks very much like I'm out of here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment